Significance of Tattoo Selection and Placement: It's with You for Life

Getting a tattoo is not like going out and buying an expensive pair of jeans or a dress. If you don't like it, you can't take it back. You get to live with this decision for the rest of your life. Tattoos are a uniquely personal decision that those of us that have them, choose to make. First, to get a tattoo and then, what is this tattoo going to say about us as an individual. What am I saying by placing this on my body? Am I making a personal statement of some kind? Am I shouting a statement out to the world in a bold manner meant to shock or am I softly making my statement. Is my design meaningful to me on a personal level that will still be there five years from now? Ten years? Or is it just a design that caught my eye that I like right now? You might think that those six shooting stars up your leg are "cool" now when you are twenty years old but are those stars going to mean something to you when you are thirty? It is better to spend time deciding what you want your tattoo design to reflect about you as a person and your judgment, because it will eventually in the end whether you want it to or not, as is it is the nature and the stigma (culture?) of tattoos.



 Get Assistant from Tattoo Artist
I am not saying that every tattoo has to have deep spiritual meaning. If you want something for design sake only, by all means go for it. Just don't go for the "flash trash." Prepare to spend some money and get a tattoo artist to design something for you. Daemon Rowanchilde is a wonderful, award winning tattoo artist from Fergus, Ontario and has a website/shop called Urban Primitive and is a prime example of high end artistic design for individual clients. Daemon's charge is per hour with his minimum charge $400 but he is well worth it as his designs are breathtaking. He uses black work and gray shading interwoven with highly detailed patterning which is multi-layered to enhance the contours of the body and transform the living canvas. Daemon's patterns draw from Islamic mosque designs, Persian, Indian and medieval art and architecture to create a dizzying, yet visually coherent sense of ordered chaos. I am inspired to get a design based from one of his, as I cannot afford his fees or the trip to Canada, unfortunately.

Go For Meaningful Designs
I can choose meaningful designs where I live. I choose, as a woman, not to have obvious tattoos. This does not mean that they are hidden per se. I have one on my ankle and my significant ones are on the inside of my wrists. None of these are tiny, they are all at least five-six inches long, and they just are not necessarily noticeable if I don't really want them to be. The ones on my wrists are for my children and are very meaningful for me. On the left, closest to my heart is my firstborn, my daughter. It has her name and a butterfly with small vines and a flower which in it represents emerging beauty and grace, with the added notice to regard change as joyful, not traumatic. My right wrist has my son's name and a dream-catcher. In Native American culture, a dream-catcher is a powerful symbol of protection, acting as an amulet or talisman against evil and harm. That is my son, he is my "right hand man" as he is always there when I need him and he is there to watch over me when my husband can't be.

Both of these tattoos can't be seen with my arms down in a normal position, but with my arms opened wide you see them and they are representative of the most special individuals in my life. I don't think I will mind having these tattoos in ten years. What about yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Inspect Your Own Diamond Ring

Ideal Wedding Favors For Your Big Day

Buying an Engagement Ring on a Budget